Wk1 – Art Experience – Plaster Casting

This week I got to try plaster casting, an art form I’ve never heard of before. Upon some brief research, I learned that plaster casts are usually used to replicate works and are usually done with molds made out of a variety of materials including wood, terracotta, and rubber.

Since I did my art activity at my house, my steps were a little different because I wasn’t at the beach. My first stop was at the Lowe’s near my house to buy the supplies I needed. Here I bought a carton of plaster, a bucket, and sand.¬†Fortunately, I had the other supplies at home.

Not actually taken by me, photo courtesy of Jacques from Pasadena, CA on Yelp

After I got all my supplies, I found a nice spot in the backyard and spread out everything I needed for the project: two buckets, a shovel, bag of sand, plaster, stirring stick, and paint brush.

plaster casting activity supplies ft. my dog, Coco running around in the background

The first real step was pouring the sand in the bucket. I needed a little bit of help for this from my dad because the bag of sand was 50 lbs! Once the sand was in the bucket, I couldn’t help but play with it because I almost never get to play with sand!


Next, I got to actually making the mold. I dug a hole in the bucket using my shovel, stuck my hand in there, and then carefully took it out to reveal my mold. I tried to do a “peace sign” gesture with my hand instead of just a generic open hand.

Once I had the mold, I began to mix the plaster. I made sure to use 2 parts plaster and one part water and to mix quickly. I wasn’t quite sure what the consistency was supposed to look like, but I figured it wasn’t supposed to be too thick or too watery so I tried to find a balance. Once the plaster was mixed, I carefully poured it into the mold and let it sit for 40 minutes.

After 40 minutes had passed, I carefully took my plaster mold out and started dusting all the sand off of it.

In the end, my plaster cast came out okay. I’m a bit of a perfectionist, so I was kind of unhappy about how the fingers weren’t as long as they were supposed to be. Overall, I found the activity to be fun and interesting, especially since I has never done anything like it before. I look forward to the other projects we are going to be doing this semester and hope to experience even more new things!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s